The Lubbock Gem and Mineral Society was formed in 1958 by a group of rock hounds that wanted to encourage the study of rocks, minerals, fossils, and other geological materials and by meeting with others with the same interests learn more themselves. Come to a meeting and see what we can accomplish together in a member-driven sharing experience!
The purpose of this Society shall be:
- To bring about a closer association of those persons interested in the earth sciences and lapidary arts.
- To increase, document and disseminate knowledge about geological materials including rocks, minerals, gems, fossils, historic and modern cultural lithic artifacts.
- To encourage the study, collecting and display of rocks, minerals, gems, fossils, artifacts, and the performance of lapidary and jewelry arts.
- To provide guidance, education and information; share ideas and techniques; and assist in the development and refinement of skills through the combined resources, knowledge and experience of the Society’s Members.
- To conduct appropriate meetings and field trips.
- To sponsor public shows, displays and educational programs.
- To publish a Society Newsletter each month.
- The LGMS is a 501(c)3 Educational Organization.